Last year, between the two of us, we watched an average of 317 movies.
This year our goal is to top that by watching at least one a day.
And as an extra special torture, we've decided to write about all of them.

09 July 2008

Run Fatboy Run, dir. David Schwimmer (2007)

NIKKI says:
The Pegg group, for me, is a bit like the Gervais group -- anything they do, I will watch; anywhere they go, I will follow; anytime they wish to slum in less than stellar productions, I will support them while patiently waiting for them to get their collective acts together.

That last one mostly applies here -- just as we watched Ricky in Night at the Museum, so we watched Pegg in Run, Fatboy, Run. It looked like a cute movie, even from the trailers, but I kinda thought wedgie jokes were beyond such a creative genius as Simon Pegg. Still, I put that thought aside, hoping scenes of Pegg pulling his britches from his ass-cheeks were purposely placed in those trailers to reach the Lowest Common Denominator crowd -- you know, the people who buy movie tickets. Well, there's a lot of that kind of humour in here -- wedgie jokes join blister-popping gags, cock jokes, bad-hair jokes, rash jokes, humping-a-mannequin jokes, you name it.

But then it's really not Pegg's movie. From the sounds of it, it's another comedian's movie that Pegg stepped in on for reasons I'm not too familiar with. And then David Schwimmer directs, and while he starred in one of the funniest shows in TV for 10 years, he's not the most skilled comedy director. The timing feels all over the place with this one.

On the plus side, I guess it's a cute movie with a cute story. I don't know what possessed the Pegg group to put their energies into it. It just doesn't seem like their sort of thing. The story, at its heart, is rather generic. It's even been done before in a movie called Running. I laughed a few times, but I don't think it'll ever get a revisit.

So, here I wait for Paul, which Pegg wrote with Nick Frost about two guys travelling the USA together, and The World's End, new from Pegg and Edgar Wright. Then we'll be back on track, and any and all wedgie jokes might serve a deeper purpose.

2/5

No comments: