Last year, between the two of us, we watched an average of 317 movies.
This year our goal is to top that by watching at least one a day.
And as an extra special torture, we've decided to write about all of them.

02 April 2008

Pump Up the Volume, dir. Allan Moyle (1990)

STEVE says:
I'd call this Talk Radio Lite, but there's nothing lite about Pump Up the Volume. I'd say it's Talk Radio for the teen crowd, but I saw Talk Radio when I was in my teens, so that seems slightly redundant. What I can say is that Pump Up the Volume probably had more of an effect on me as far as my personality goes than any other factor I can think of because it introduced me to Lenny Bruce.

In the movie, Slater's character returns a copy of Lenny's How to Talk Dirty and Influence People to the school library. It's ridiculous to think that this book would be stocked in a school library, much less this particular school's library, but we'll let that go in as much as it doesn't affect the plot.

I didn't really know who Lenny Bruce was when I saw Pump Up the Volume. I'd heard the name, mostly in association with George Carlin and Richard Pryor, but had never heard any of his material. Out of curiosity, I ordered the book. I came away from it wanting to be Lenny Bruce, unromantic heroin-induced death not withstanding.

Nikki did not view.

No comments: