Last year, between the two of us, we watched an average of 317 movies.
This year our goal is to top that by watching at least one a day.
And as an extra special torture, we've decided to write about all of them.

11 March 2008

Interview, dir. Steve Buscemi (2007)

NIKKI says:
So, it seems we've moved away from every one of this month's planned "themes", and have gone back to "let's watch this!" -- be it preview tape, new release, or what.

Our plan for this month was to watch movies from our ever-expanding To-Watch pile. It has something like 200 movies in it, and our Hitchcock event was a way of culling that number. Then we were going to do docos, and pulled out H.H. Holmes. Then we were going to do westerns ... Ugh. Now, we're kinda doing whatever. And it's okay -- I like the randomness, I think. Plans are hard.

Continuing at random: Interview. I got it as a preview screener at work today, and we've both wanted to see it for some time, so we went with it. I did enjoy it, but I don't know if I liked it, if that even makes sense. I was with the story and the characters throughout, but the end threw me for a mad loop. So much so that I'm not entirely sure if anything I thought about these characters or their motives was in any way close to fact.

Ultimately, though, I think that's the point. What do we see when we view people through a lens, or a tape recorder, as the case may be? And what does an interview say about the interviewer? What is truth? How much of the world we inhabit is made up of semi-truths, so-called truths given to us by journalists and based on their moods, their particular ideals? When it was revealed that these characters were feeding on the desperation and barbarity of each other's hidden lives, I discovered I was as culpable as they were. I believed in the lies as much as they did, and for similar reasons.

How easy it was to explain away and excuse the actress's behaviour based on her revelations. How easy it was, as well, to pity the interviewer based on his... But then they run away into the night, and I'm left stunned.

Challenging film, great performances, more great directorial work from Buscemi.

3/5

No comments: