Last year, between the two of us, we watched an average of 317 movies.
This year our goal is to top that by watching at least one a day.
And as an extra special torture, we've decided to write about all of them.

25 March 2008

Blast from the Past, dir. Hugh Wilson (1999)

NIKKI says:
How have I never seen this movie? As previously noted, I went to the cinema to see freakin' Legally Blonde. There's no reason this one should pass me by. Weird. Anyway...

All I could think watching this last night was how much I miss the '90s. It's usually the '80s I'm longing for, but my actual teenage, growing-up years were between 1991 and, well, now, and I just found myself reminiscing rather painfully about Everclear and Dishwalla just how much better things were then. Life was less complicated, less shiny and fake. Or, at least it felt that way.

That's kind of what this movie is all about, in a way. Adam is a guy raised with early 1960s values. He's simple, polite, childlike in his approach to everything because he's retained a certain innocence that comes from being locked in a bomb shelter for 35 years. When he emerges, it's 1999, and everything is new. He must adjust to his new setting, while finding himself a girlfriend.

He acclimates rather well, and, as expected, teaches a few people some much-needed lessons in life and love. It's enjoyable bubblegum, this movie. And Brendan Fraser is just way hilarious, and should be in more movies. Alicia Silverstone was like everyone's favourite actress back then -- her and Winona and Drew -- and we were all jealous of her mouth and squeaky voice.

I went back in time watching this movie. Steve playing the Violent Femmes during the afternoon probably sent me down memory lane in the first place. This movie made me want to stay there.

3/5

No comments: