Last year, between the two of us, we watched an average of 317 movies.
This year our goal is to top that by watching at least one a day.
And as an extra special torture, we've decided to write about all of them.

08 January 2008

30 Days of Night, dir. David Slade (2007)

STEVE says:
I didn't expect much from 30 Days of Night - and in that regard, I wasn't disappointed.

Great idea, I thought - vampires in Alaska during (you guessed it) their 30 days of night period - but it was poorly executed. The vampires appeared to wipe out most of the town in the first 10 minutes of their assault - so why'd they have such a tough time finding the last seven people alive? And these people, tucked away in an attic for nearly three weeks, they're eating what? And why didn't the vampires just dive in and attack like they'd been doing? No, not very well thought out at all.

Josh Hartnett was Tommy Lee Jonesing through most of it, Melissa George could have been more annoying, and Danny Huston was interesting as always as the head vampire, but that's about as positive as I can get. Whoever decided to cast Maoris as Ennuits needs some more anthropological schooling.

2/5

NIKKI says:
I know it was terrible, and made no sense -- Day 17? WHAT? WHEN? -- but I have to admit, it kept me interested. Maybe it was Hartnett, who has finally achieved the seemingly impossible by becoming a real actor and not just a cute guy trying to hang out with the big kids. He was great, actually -- all emotional and hard. He, truth be told, made the movie compelling for me. Something I never thought would happen and won't admit in a large crowd.

More points for this: the vampires were creepy as, the claustrophobic setting was creepier still, and the bloody effects turned my stomach, which I consider a great thing in these days of lame I Am Legend-like fakery.

Still, what the hell was with the super-fast passing of time? How did these people not get killed on Day 16? What were the vampires doing? I don't think our core group were that hard to find. And why did Hartnett decide to inject himself with vampire blood to save Melissa George when the life-saving sun was just hours away? They'd stayed hidden for 30 freakin' days -- another one surely wouldn't have hurt.

Anyway -- a mixed bag. Interesting elements, cool stuff to look at, but ultimately a failure.

1.5/5

No comments: